Tuesday, December 31, 2019

[FOR THE PARENTS] The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

37186The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane follows the story of a rabbit who doesn't know how to love. Through a series of unfortunate events, he falls into the possession of multiple people and his hard heart begins to soften...

Kate DiCamillo is strongly establishing herself as a must-read for all children. This story is heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time as Edward finds himself going through various families and learning the ultimate lesson: how to love.

What I loved about this book is that Edward meets all kinds of people: poor people, sick people, young children, grown men, boys who've lost everything. There is such a message of the importance of all humanity underlying this book. It is not simply about little girls with pretty dolls - it's about life. It can be gritty, but it can also be beautiful. And sometimes in the beauty, there's a little sadness.

DiCamillo's writing style is very easy to read and also very alluring. I found myself flying through this little book but also not wanting to put it down. I felt like a child, taking my new flashlight and reading under the covers in the dark, only I knew I had to wake up for work the next morning. It's been a long time since a book enchanted me so.

The reading level is around a high 3rd to 4th grade level and would be perfect for both avid and reluctant readers. I really can't recommend this book enough. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment